Job Title: Fullstack Developer
Location: Bingham, Nottingham
Job Type: Full time
Line manager: Lead Engineer
The role, activities and responsibilities:
This is an exciting opportunity to join an Agile, solution-driven development team in which you will enjoy the freedom to learn, choose and implement some of the latest web technologies while supporting existing mission critical applications for our public and in house applications. You must have a passion for writing solid well-structured software using modern development practices and technology.
You will work with the team to refine process and technical direction, and mentor junior members of the team through the implementation and ensure best practices are maintained.
You enjoy solving complex problems and programming in variety of languages.
You will work on projects, ranging from maintaining our existing products to building new solutions using a variety of technologies to deliver and support web-based applications in a dedicated private infrastructure.
This is a great opportunity to work in a fun and challenging environment, with flexible working, free beverages, fruit and snacks, music on tap, TV, monthly social events, personal development days, free personal tests and many other benefits. Currently, most of the team are working remotely from home most of the time, and we are focused on making sure we all stay connected and engaged during this period.
- Proficient with Laravel or similar PHP MVC framework
- Proficient with relational databases e.g. MySQL
- Proficient with Git
- Experience of developing and working with web services and REST APIs
- Experience of developing and working with AWS
- Sound knowledge of OOP
- Experience of test-driven development, TDD/ BDD, using frameworks such as PHPUnit, PHPSpec etc.
- Experience of Agile (Scrum) and XP development practices
- Experience of working with Product owners to create User stories and acceptance tests
- Experience of mentoring junior developers on new technologies, frameworks and libraries
- Degree in computer science or a related field or significant work experience in web development
Desirable technologies and experience
- AWS Lambda Node.js and Go
- Linux Admin and Scripting
- Microservices architecture
- Automated deployment such as GitLab CI and GitHub Actions
- Leadership and mentoring
- Experience of working with legacy codebases and dealing with technical debt
- Keen about new technologies and keeping updated with them in the relevant topics
- Experience of developing in an Agile environment
- Experience of conducting and undergoing peer code review
- A passionate advocate of internet technology
- Natural problem solver
- Keen to research and find new brighter technologies around web and select the best tools for the task
- Passion for good application architecture
- Sociable, enthusiastic, collaborative, proactive and team player
Our mission is to make state-of-the-art laboratory health testing available to everyone. We’ve harnessed the expertise of the UK’s top pathology laboratories with the latest consumer technology to make 21st Century health testing a simple, easy-to-use process available for everybody.
From diagnosing a condition, to optimising your health or fitness regime, we give you the insights you need to manage your health. We have made over 1200 laboratory tests available direct to private individuals, complete with easy-to-visualise results backed up with analysis and comments from fully qualified doctors.
If you would like to apply for this role, please email your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.